U.S. Non-degree Special Students
- Students who have previously earned a bachelor's or master's degree
- Students enrolled at another school who wish to attend NU before returning to their home university
- Students who have some college credit but have not completed a degree or attended college recently
- Non-degree Special Students are held to the same admissions standards as regular degree candidates. Therefore, a well-conceived statement of purpose and official transcripts of prior study are required as part of the application.
- Applications will be reviewed only after the Office of Special Students (OSS) has received a completed application and all supplemental application materials.
- A formal letter of acceptance or rejection and registration materials (if applicable) will be sent approximately two weeks after receipt of the completed application.
- (PDF Format)
- Statement of purpose stating clearly why you wish to attend Northwestern as a NDSS (maximum one page typed, double-spaced, please include your name on all attached sheets)
- Official transcripts of all work completed at institutions of higher learning
- $50 non-refundable application fee (check or money order only, payable to Northwestern University)
Send application and supplemental materials to:
Office of Special Students
Summer Session and Special Programs
405 Church Street
Evanston, IL 60208
Application Deadlines for the 2016–17 Academic Year
|Fall (classes begin Tuesday, September 20, 2016)||August 19, 2016|
|Winter (classes begin Tuesday, January 3, 2017)||November 18, 2016|
|Spring (classes begin Monday, March 27, 2017)||February 17, 2017|
- All materials must be received by the respective deadline in order to be considered.
- Applications received after the deadline will be considered for the following term, if the applicant so requests.
Tuition and Fees
All tuition and fees for non-degree special students are charged at the undergraduate day-school rate. Tuition for the 2016–17 academic year is:
- Part-time tuition: $5,980/course (one course = one unit), for enrollment in 1 to 2 courses/credit units
- Full-time tuition: $16,808/quarter for enrollment in 3 to 4 courses/credit units
- Certain courses that are worth more or less than one credit unit are indicated as such in the quarterly class schedule. Students may also be responsible for applicable student and lab fees.
- Rates are subject to change without notice, and increases should be expected in subsequent years. Please visit the Student Financial Services website for updated tuition and fee rates.
Students may also wish to visit the website of the department offering the course(s) in which they are interested in enrolling. Contact information is available from the Northwestern University department directory.