Applicants to this certificate program must hold a graduate degree from an accredited U.S. college, university or its foreign equivalent. Three to five years of professional experience in the related field is recommended but not required.
Please note that courses completed in the certificate program cannot be transferred to the corresponding graduate degree.
- Fall quarter: July 15
- Winter quarter: October 15
- Spring quarter: January 15
- Summer quarter: April 15
If an application deadline falls on a weekend, supplemental materials will be due the next business day. Applications are accepted year round and are reviewed by the faculty admissions committee once a quarter. Applicants will be notified of their admission status approximately four weeks after the deadline.
Statement of Purpose
Supplemental materials, with the exception of transcripts, must be uploaded to the online application. Official transcripts may be sent to our Admissions office at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to our Chicago office. Please be sure to include the name of your intended program when addressing transcripts. Applicants will be notified once all materials have been received and the application is complete.
- One sealed copy of an official transcript from a previously attended college and/or university showing a completed graduate degree. Official transcripts must arrive in our office in the original sealed envelope issued by the institution. Northwestern University School of Professional Studies accepts electronic transcripts from U.S. institutions via secure electronic transcript providers. Consult with your institution to see if they are part of a secure e-delivery network. All electronic transcripts should be sent to email@example.com. Please note transcripts are not accepted by fax or email. If you are currently enrolled, please submit an official transcript showing courses in-progress. Applicants with international transcripts must request an official course-by-course evaluation of transcripts from a NACES member such as WES or ECE. A course-by-course evaluation will translate courses, degrees and grades to U.S. equivalency.
- One letter of recommendation focusing on academic and professional achievement and ability. Ideally, this recommendation would be from a faculty member in the applicant's graduate program.
- Statement of purpose
- Current résumé or curriculum vitae
MSIS Graduate Admissions
Northwestern University School of Professional Studies
Wieboldt Hall, Sixth floor
339 E. Chicago Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60611-3008
Your application will be evaluated by the MSIS Admissions Committee. The following considerations will guide the Committee in their review:
- The statement of purpose demonstrates if a student's academic and professional goals are appropriate for this certificate. This statement also helps the committee to determine if the prospective student possesses the necessary writing skills and intellectual maturity for succeeding in the certificate.
- The letter of recommendation serves to underscore the applicant's commitment to graduate education and ability to succeed in graduate level work and in the field after completing the certificate.
- The résumé is used to provide evidence of an applicant’s continuing commitment to and/or understanding of the information systems field. While we prefer candidates to possess three to five years of work and/or research experience in a related area, recent master graduates and career changers are also encouraged to apply. These applicants must demonstrate to the committee their commitment to the certificate program by detailing previous internships, academic or volunteer work.