Prephysical Therapy Certificate Program
The prephysical therapy concentration admits post-baccalaureate students into courses required for application to physical therapy graduate (DPT) programs. Students can complete the program in 15 or 21 months. While this program meets minimal requirements for application to most physical therapy schools in Illinois, students are strongly advised to confirm the admission requirements of the schools in which they are interested before enrolling to ensure that the SPS program fulfills their needs. This program is designed for career changers who do not have an extensive background in science. Students who need only some of these courses may apply to the Advanced Studies in Biology for the Health Professions certificate program or create a specialized certificate.
- BIOL SCI 170 Concepts of Biology
- BIOL SCI 217 Physiology
- BIOL SCI 313 Human Anatomy
- BIOL SCI 316 Human Structure and Function
- BIOL SCI 317 Regional Human Anatomy Lab
- BIOL SCI 318 Advanced Human Physiology*
- CHEM 101 General Chemistry (with lab, CHEM 121)
- CHEM 102 General Inorganic Chemistry (with lab, CHEM 122)
- CHEM 103 General Physical Chemistry (with lab, CHEM 123)
- PHYSICS 130-A,-B,-C College Physics I, II, III (with lab, PHYSICS 131-A,B,C)
- STAT 202 Introduction to Statistics
*Formerly BIOLSCI 335-B: Human Physiology II. Students in the pre-PT track who have previously completed BIOLSCI 335-B do not need to take 318.
- PRO HLTH 396-A Professional Health Careers Proseminar I*
- PRO HLTH 396-B Professional Health Careers Proseminar II*
*These non-credit seminar courses are optional, but highly recommended, for prephysical therapy students and are offered free of charge to students in the Professional Health Careers program. For more information, please see the course listing page
In addition to the program requirements, prephysical therapy students have the option to take any of the courses offered at SPS as electives. Elective courses are NOT eligible for financial aid, based upon federal financial aid requirements.
Transfer Credit Policy for Prephysical Therapy
Prephysical Therapy students have different admission requirements and application processes than other post-baccalaureate students. Visit the Acceptance Critera page for details on admission requirements for this program, and for SPS Office of Admissions contact information.