See below for important information about registering for courses at SPS, including registration timelines and adding or dropping courses in which you are already enrolled. All students register for courses using the CAESAR online student registration and records system.
For more information, contact the .
New Student / First-Time Registration
- Complete the admissions process and receive notification of acceptance.
- Choose your courses from your approved program of study and calculate your tuition. Tuition information can be found on the Tuition page for each certificate program.
- Log in to CAESAR using the NetID and activation code that will be sent to you 5-7 business days after completing the registration form.
- Make a tuition deposit in CAESAR. See the instructions for making a payment on CAESAR. Northwestern University School of Professional Studies requires students to pay 60% tuition plus 100% of fees at the time of registration. Northwestern employees must pay 100% tuition plus 100% of fees minus their benefits at the time of registration.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail once you have made your payment. Once you receive it, forward the email to firstname.lastname@example.org. After SPS receives your payment confirmation or proof of payment, you will be activated in CAESAR. This means that you will have access to use CAESAR to enroll in your selected course(s). Students cannot be activated to register for courses in CAESAR without first making a tuition payment. If you do not receive your payment confirmation email within 48 hours, email email@example.com.
- You will receive another email confirmation notifying you once you are activated in CAESAR and can register for courses. See the instructions for adding courses.
Current and Returning Student Registration
Current and returning students register for courses in CAESAR. A valid Northwestern University NetID and password are required to access the system. The registration timeframe for each quarter is:
- July 5, 2017 - registration opens
- August 30, 2017 - late registration starts
- November 13, 2017 - registration opens
- December 11, 2017 - late registration starts
- February 26, 2018 - registration opens
- March 12, 2018 - late registration starts
A $75 late registration fee is applied during late registration periods.
Registration questions should be directed to the SPS Office of the Registrar.
All students — new and current — can change their registration status through CAESAR (add/drop, credit/audit). If you are withdrawing from all of your courses for the quarter, CAESAR will not allow you to drop the last remaining course on your schedule. Instead, you must complete the Change of Registration Form. Do not send registration change requests to the course instructor or to the Office of Student Accounts; changes to registration can only be made in CAESAR.
Students who drop courses or withdraw from SPS may be eligible for a tuition refund, less any nonrefundable fees and deposits. The tuition refund policy is applied as of the date the request is received. For more information on refund policy when a course is dropped or for a withdrawal, contact the Office of Student Accounts.
To view add/drop deadlines, visit the Important Dates page.