Divorce Mediation Training Program
This intensive five-day course provides students with the opportunity to fulfill an important role in family law under the tutelage of experts in the field. This program has been approved by the Association for Conflict Resolution — Family Section and is accepted by local courts for family mediation rosters.
Registration for Winter 2016 is now open!
Courses touch upon the following subject areas:
- Strategic mediation skills to help couples make decisions
- The court perspective on divorce, alimony and property division
- How emotions affect the couple and children in a separation/divorce
- Effective techniques to deal with an impasse
- How to recognize and deal with power imbalances
- Ethical concerns of the mediator
- Knowledge to effectively mediate separation and divorce issues
- Divorce mediation opportunities in Illinois and how to build a practice
Continuing Education Credits for Attorneys and Counselors
- The program is co-sponsored by the Illinois Mental Health Counselors Association. The IMHCA is licensed by the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation to provide 40 CEs for LSWs, LCSWs, LPCs, LCPCs and LMFTs.
- This course was approved for 35.75 general MCLE credits by the Illinois MCLE Board. Of that total, 10.25 credits were approved as Professional Responsibility Credits by the Illinois Commission on Professionalism.
- The program was approved under Part 146 by the New York State Unified Court System's Office of ADR Programs. Final placement on any court roster is at the discretion of the local Administrative Judge and participation in a course that is either approved or pending approval does not guarantee placement on a local court roster. Furthermore, as the program covers Illinois-specific divorce laws and court procedures, for those who intend to mediate in New York, additional training in New York court-specific rules and procedures and relevant New York law may be necessary.
- You may also earn continuing education credits for other jurisdictions. We will be able to complete any required documents, but you will pay the fees for the credits which may range from free to over $100. You may wish to review the American Bar Association CLE website and find your jurisdiction in advance.
To earn the Divorce Mediation Training certificate, students must complete an intensive five-day course, DIV_MED 201-0.