SHRM Essentials of HR Management Certificate
Human resource issues impact every company in some way. That's why it's important to understand the fundamental issues surrounding HR today. Offered in partnership with the Society of Human Resource Management, the SHRM 201-0 Essentials of HR Management course provides an introductory overview of the human resource function.
Knowing the basics of HR can make you a better manager, improve workplace morale and employee performance, and protect your organization from needless litigation. This course addresses the complex, real-world, and legal issues you face and is a must for anyone in the business of managing people.
SHRM 201-0 Program Audience
Designed as a thorough introduction to HR basics, the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course provides a solid foundation in HR management across many different job functions and career paths, including:
- New and junior HR professionals who need to increase their knowledge base.
- Small business owners or office managers who perform the HR function for their company.
- Business managers who want to learn basic HR best practices to avoid costly litigation.
- New or experienced managers interested in learning more about employee management skills.
- Representatives selling or supporting HR systems and services.
- International HR personnel wishing to increase their knowledge of U.S. HR practices.
- Job seekers who are investigating HR as a new career option or want to enhance their resume with HR skills.
The SHRM Essentials of HR Management course is approved for Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP credentials and recertification credit hours for HR Certification Institute credentials.
SHRM 201-0 Course Content
Human Resource Management
- Roles and responsibilities of HR professionals
- Strategic planning and HR planning
- Key provisions of legislation that affects HR activities
- The role of the EEOC
- The purpose of affirmative action
Recruitment and Selection
- Recruiting methods and their effectiveness
- Biases in the interview process and how to eliminate them
- The selection process and key selection tools
Compensation and Benefits
- Basic elements of a total compensation system
- Base pay, incentives, and differentials in employee compensation
- The compensation system design process
- Benefits commonly offered by employers
- Learning styles and adult learning principles
- Orientation, onboarding, development, and training
- On-the-job and off-the-job training strategies
- Professional development tools
- Performance evaluation process and systems
- Effective disciplinary meetings
- Legal issues to consider during employee terminations
To earn a "SHRM Essentials of HR Management" certificate from Northwestern University, students are only required to successfully complete the SHRM 201-0 Essentials of HR Management core course.