Mediation Training Certificate Program
Northwestern University's 40-hour mediation skills training course focuses on fundamental and practical techniques to successfully resolve disputes. The certificate can be used by legal professionals as well as career changers to enter the field of dispute resolution, arbitration and mediation. Students will also learn about professional resources, and attorneys can earn mandatory continuing legal education credits.
Registration for Winter 2016 is now open. Spring program dates coming soon!
Over the course of the 40-hour, five-day intensive training, students will:
- Acquire the skills used to assist parties with divergent interests to reach a resolution
- Engage in simulated mediations to develop an understanding of the mediation process
- Work with coaches who have professional conflict mediation experience
- Set performance-based standards for evaluating their own work
- Learn about ethics in the field, opportunities in commercial mediation and arbitration, and how to start building a practice as a mediator
Earn Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Credits
- Mediation Skills Training was approved for a total of 35 General MCLE Credits by the Illinois MCLE Board. Of that total, 6 Credits were approved as Professional Responsibility Credits by the Illinois Commission on Professionalism.
- You may also earn continuing education credits for other jurisdictions. We will be able to assist in completing required documents, but students will need to pay the fees which may range from free to more than $100. Students may wish to review the American Bar Association CLE website and find the rules covering their jurisdiction in advance.
- The mediation skills training program is currently approved by AAM Training Committee to fulfill training qualification requirements for AAM membership.
- Northwestern's training program has been approved by the Presiding Judge of the Law Division of Cook County as satisfying one of the requirements to become a Certified Mediator in Cook County. Read about the other requirements on the Cook County Website Rule 20.08.
To be awarded a certificate of completion for the Mediation Training certificate, students must complete a five-day, 40-hour intensive course. Please note that attendance is required for the duration of the entire session to earn continuing legal education credit.