Negotiation: Critical Skills and New Methods to Boost your Success
Learn innovative negotiation tools from two of the world’s leading negotiation experts — Professor Leonard Riskin of Northwestern Law School and Professor Daniel Shapiro of the Harvard Negotiation Project.
August 5–7, 2015 Chicago, Illinois
Negotiation is essential to your success — whether to manage a client, close an important deal, or resolve a heated dispute. This program offers powerful frameworks to help you enhance your negotiation success. These tools range from the basics of interest-based negotiation to advanced tools to better manage the complex emotions that make negotiating so difficult.
This course offers cutting edge methods. Many training programs present basic negotiation tools. But even people who have mastered these tools sometimes fail to use them in difficult situations. This course reveals the reasons why — and how you can overcome them. In short, you will learn methods to better manage not just others, but yourself. You will learn skills to improve your ability to attend to important information; to keep your anxiety in check; and to face conflicting goals with clarity.
You will have opportunity to practice applying negotiation theory through a variety of exercises. You also will learn tools to better manage yourself and others in a negotiation — through such methods as mindful awareness and a system for working through internal conflict. You will discover how to integrate these skills and methods into your everyday negotiation practice.
World-Renowned Instructors. This program’s instructors have made important contributions to the field of negotiation and regularly field-test their methods with a variety of groups, ranging from global leadership to business and governmental executives. Taught by leading experts in the theory and practice of negotiation, Professors Leonard Riskin of the law schools at the University of Florida and Northwestern University and Daniel L. Shapiro of the Harvard Negotiation Project, this Institute incorporates the most advanced thinking on the topic of negotiation.
Who Should Attend
- Executive management
- Purchasing and procurement managers
- Psychotherapists and counselors
- Project managers
- Human resources professionals
- Sales and marketing professionals
- Not-for-profit professionals
- Insurance professionals
No matter your profession, you undoubtedly negotiate all the time. This program can take your negotiations to the next level of success.
What to Expect
Through a combination of theory and strategies used by experienced negotiators, you will discover new ways to manage key issues, defuse crises and negotiate disputes. You will gain insight to improve communication and successfully manage your negotiation.
In this program, you will:
- Practice the basic principles of negotiation
- Incorporate cutting-edge techniques to take your negotiation to the next level
- Utilize the “core-concerns framework” to understand and stimulate helpful emotions
- Achieve higher levels of focus, clarity, and mindfulness in negotiation and mediation
- Enhance your individual and organizational effectiveness
- Expand your network with leading professionals from around the country
This exclusive seminar integrates traditional negotiation skills with groundbreaking techniques largely absent from other negotiation programs. Upon completion, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion from Northwestern University. Enrollment may also be used to satisfy 17.25 hours of the State of Illinois' CLE requirement and also fulfills two hours of the Professional Responsibility requirement.
- Revisiting established theory and practices of negotiation
- Putting negotiation into context: overview of dispute resolution processes
- Negotiating substantive and procedural issues
A ROADMAP FOR UNDERSTANDING, CONDUCTING AND EVALUATING A NEGOTIATION
- Applying the critical elements of negotiation
- Understanding adversarial vs. interest-based negotiation tactics and strategies
- Identifying the five core concerns when dealing with emotions
MINDFUL AWARENESS IN NEGOTIATIONS
- Choosing wisely: utilizing the tools of awareness
- Avoiding pitfalls by transforming hostile emotions
- Applying the tools: what to notice and what to do
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- Hands on, role play, applying theories
- Utilizing various frameworks learned in the seminar
- Assimilating newly acquired techniques, strategies and levels of awareness
The tentative schedule for the 2015 Summer Institute in Negotiation is as follows. Specific times and activities are subject to change.
Northwestern University Chicago Campus
339 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 5, 2015
- 12:30–1pm: Registration/check-in
- 1–5:30pm: Class in session (coffee and refreshments)
THURSDAY, AUGUST 6, 2015
- 8:30–9am: Continental breakfast
- 9am–5:30pm: Class in session (lunch provided)
- 5:30–7pm: Reception with cocktails and hors d'oeuvres
FRIDAY, AUGUST 7, 2015
- 8:30–9am: Continental breakfast
- 9am–3pm: Class in session