Tuition and Fees
Summer 2017 tuition and fees
- Undergraduate tuition, per course/unit of credit: $4,202
- Graduate tuition, per course/unit of credit: $5,980
- Graduate tuition, full-time (3 or 4 courses): $16,808
- Graduate tuition for Advanced Doctoral Study (TGS 500): $4,202/quarter
- The Graduate School tuition for Resident Master’s Study (TGS 588): $5,603
- Graduate tuition for Continuous Registration (TGS 512): $100/quarter
- Graduate tuition for Continuous Registration (TGS 513): $1,000/quarter
- Online courses: $120 technology fee
- Late payment fee: $200
- Financial aid information
Northwestern Graduate School students who wish to enroll in undergraduate courses will need a permission number before registering. Permission numbers are administered by the department of the course.
Adds, Drops and Withdrawals
Students who have registered for a course are considered enrolled for the duration, and are expected to attend all sessions of the courses for which they are registered. Excessive absences do not signal a student's intent to drop or withdraw, and is cause for failure in the course. The student is also responsible to pay any tuition balance remaining on their account. Therefore, students wishing to change their registration in any way - by adding or dropping a course - must do so in CAESAR or through the Office of the Registrar, if unable to do so in CAESAR. Do not send correspondence regarding adds, drops and withdrawals to the course instructor or to the Office of Student Accounts.
All changes in registration must be made through CAESAR or the Office of the Registrar, Rebecca Crown Center, 633 Clark Street, Evanston, Illinois 60208.
The following policies apply to all changes in registration:
- You may add a course through the first five business days of the summer term. Any difference in tuition will be billed to your account.
- Because of the various start and end dates for summer classes, the drop deadline is determined by the number of class meetings that have elapsed. Please visit the Student Financial Services website to calculate the drop deadline for your class(es). You may drop a class through the 60% point in time of each course.
- Failure to attend a course does not, in itself, constitute a drop or withdrawal under any circumstances and incurs a failing grade (F) on official transcripts.
- You may withdraw entirely from the Summer Session by filling out a Cancellation/Withdrawal Form available in the Office of the Registrar.
- Failure to drop a course within the time allowed is regarded as a failure and is recorded with a grade of F.
- You may withdraw entirely from Summer Session by filling out the Cancellation/Withdrawal Form available in the Office of the Registrar. If 60% of the course has elapsed on the date of withdrawal, the course remains on your transcript with a grade of W.
- Students who drop courses or withdraw from Summer Session may be eligible for a tuition refund, less any non-refundable fees and deposits. Please see the Refund Policy and Schedule below.
Students may be eligible to receive a full or partial tuition refund, less any non-refundable fees and deposits. Northwestern University's refund policy is based on the percentage of time (number of days in the session, including weekends and holidays) that you were enrolled as a student in your class. The Office of Student Accounts considers the effective date in making financial adjustments the date of the drop in CAESAR or the date the completed Change of Registration form is received at the Office of the Registrar.
Please see the Student Financial Services website to calculate any potential refund amount due.
In general, if you drop or withdraw
- When or before 10% of the course elapsed, 100% of tuition will be refunded*
- After 10% but when or before 25% of the course elapsed, 75% of tuition will be refunded*
- After 25% but when or before 50% of the course elapsed, 50% of tuition will be refunded*
- After 50% of the course has elapsed, 0% of tuition will be refunded*
*less any non-refundable fees and tuition deposits
Office of Student Accounts
555 Clark Street
Evanston, IL 60208