Changes in Registration
Students who have registered for a course are considered to be enrolled for its duration, and are expected to attend all sessions of their registered courses. Excessive absences do not signal a student's intent to drop or withdraw, and is cause for failure in the course. The student is also responsible for any tuition balance remaining on their account. Therefore, students wishing to change their registration in any way — by adding or dropping a course — must do so through the SPS Registrar's office. Only the SPS Registrar's office may process registration changes. Do not contact the course instructor, Office of Student Accounts or the Office of the Registrar on the Evanston campus regarding adds, drops and withdrawals.
School of Professional Studies
Wieboldt Hall, Room 612
339 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611-3008
The following policies apply to all changes in registration:
- Registration changes of any kind (adds, drops, or withdrawals) are only accepted by following the procedures below. Do not send correspondence regarding registration changes to the instructor or the Office of Student Accounts. Only the Office of the Registrar can process registration changes. Please keep dated copies of any correspondence with the registrar.
- You may add a course up to its second class meeting. Tuition for added courses must be paid in full at the time of the change and may be paid by check or money order, or by completing the credit card authorization on the .
- You may drop a course up until 60% of the course has elapsed without receiving academic penalty (no W on transcript).
- If 60% or more of the course has elapsed on the date of the drop request, the course remains on your transcript with a grade of W.
- Failure to attend a course does not constitute a drop or withdrawal under any circumstances and incurs a failing grade (F) on official transcripts.
- You may withdraw entirely from Summer Session by filling out the Cancellation/Withdrawal Form available in the Office of the Registrar.
- Students who drop courses or withdraw from Summer Session may be eligible for a tuition refund, less any nonrefundable fees and deposits. Please see the Refund Policy and Schedule below.
Adding and Dropping Courses
To add or drop a course:
- Complete and submit the electronic .
- Make any required payment if you are adding your first course.
Refund Policy and Schedule
While the tuition deposit and fees (including the registration fee) are not refundable under any circumstances, students may be eligible to receive a full or partial tuition refund. Northwestern University's refund policy is based on the percentage of time (number of days in the session, including weekends and holidays) that you were enrolled as a student in your class. The Office of Student Accounts considers the date of the drop in CAESAR or the date the completed Change of Registration form is received at the SPS Registrar's office to be the effective date in making financial adjustments.
Please visit the Student Financial Services website to calculate any potential refund due.
In general, if you drop or withdraw:
- Before the course begins, 100% of the tuition is refunded.*
- When or before 10% of the course has elapsed, 95% of the tuition is refunded.*
- After 10% and when or before 25% of the course has elapsed, 75% of the tuition is refunded.*
- After 25% and when or before 50% of the course has elapsed, 50% of the tuition is refunded.*
- After 50% of the course has elapsed, no refunds are given.
*less any non-refundable fees and tuition deposits
As Summer Session classes begin and end on different dates throughout the summer, you should consult the Office of Student Accounts for help with determining your potential refund.
Office of Student Accounts
555 Clark Street
Evanston, IL 60208