Skip to main content
CPS Logo

Course FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for a course?

Please visit the Registration Information page to learn more about registering for a course.

What is your cancellation policy?

View the NUCPS cancellation policy.

I'm bringing a laptop to class, what are the minimum system requirements?

Where should I park when I come to class?

View parking information for courses held at 1801 Maple Avenue in Evanston, Illinois.

What hotels are in the area?

View hotel information for Evanston, Illinois and surrounding areas.

Does NUCPS offer courses off campus?

Yes, for the convenience of students and their agencies, NUCPS offers many courses across the country. These courses can be offered as either open-enrollment courses (for which anyone can register if he or she meets the requirements), or as closed-enrollment courses for a specific agency or group.

If you are interested in hosting a course or program on-site at the location of your choice, please contact us by email at or by phone at 800-323-4011.

If you are interested in hosting the School of Police Staff and Command, please read through the Hosting the School of Police Staff and Command FAQs before contacting NUCPS.

Does NUCPS offer custom courses?

Upon the request of the sponsoring agency, NUCPS staff can develop training programs tailored to the agency's training requirements.

If you are interested working with NUCPS to develop a course or program specific to your agency's training needs, please contact us by email at or by phone at 800-323-4011.

Who teaches NUCPS courses?

NUCPS courses are directed and taught by professional staff members of the Center for Public Safety. Many instructors are former law enforcement officers with an aggregate of over 200 years of enforcement experience. Guest lecturers, including several graduates of the Center for Public Safety, supplement the faculty and come from law enforcement agencies, educational institutions and national organizations.

If I earned college credit, how can I request a copy of my transcript?

By federal law, transcripts can be issued to students or to a third party only upon written authorization.

To request an official copy of a transcript, please download the transcript request form.

Please submit the completed form and payment ($25 for the first transcript, $5 for each additional transcript, $7 for rush delivery) via US Postal Mail or by fax.

All checks should be made out to Northwestern University. If paying by credit card, please be sure to include the security code.

Attention Sandra Mayfield
Northwestern University Center for Public Safety
1801 Maple Avenue
Evanston, Illinois 60208

Attention Sandra Mayfield

Is funding available for any NUCPS course(s)?

Yes, all off-campus traffic courses may be eligible for federal funding through the Department of Transportation (DOT).
Back to top