Skip to main content

Credit and Transcripts

Visiting Students

Credit and Transcripts

Northwestern University courses are on the quarter system. A course that counts for one unit of credit at Northwestern meets at least three hours per week. For transfer to other institutions or for certification stated in credit hours, undergraduates may consider one unit of credit equivalent to four quarter hours or two and two-thirds semester hours of credit. Some classes are available for variable credit. You must determine at the time of registration that you are properly registered for the desired credit. Northwestern does not allow auditing of any courses.

Transferring Credit

If you intend to transfer Summer Session credit to another college or university, check with the registrar or dean of that school regarding the amount of credit it grants for courses taken at Northwestern.

Pass/No Credit (P/N) Option

Students may choose to receive a P (pass) or N (no credit) notation instead of a regular letter grade for certain courses. This option will allow students to explore fields beyond their areas of specialization without concern about grade point average. Summer Session courses may be taken P/N unless otherwise indicated in the course description. Students from other colleges or universities should inquire at those institutions about whether P/N credits are transferable. Students who must receive a letter grade for tuition reimbursement from their employer should not elect the P/N option.

At Northwestern, the P/N option is a "blind registration" — the instructors do not know whether a student is taking the course P/N. Faculty assign a grade for the course and it is then converted to a P or an N, as appropriate.

It is best to indicate your desire to take a course P/N at the time of registration. The deadline for changing from a letter grade to P/N or vice versa is the last day of late registration.

Intensive Course Sequences

Intensive course sequences compress three quarters of academic work into one summer. Each course counts as one quarter of work and carries its own tuition. Individual courses in any intensive sequence may be taken separately, subject to prerequisites. The following intensive course sequences are offered in summer 2020:

  • ARABIC I: 111-1,-2,-3
  • ARABIC II: 121-1,-2,-3
  • CHEMISTRY 110-0 Quantitative Problem Solving; 131-0, 132-0 General Chemistry I & II
  • CHEMISTRY 210-1,2,3 Organic Chemistry
  • CHINESE 111-1,-2,-3 Elementary Chinese
  • FRENCH 111-1,2,3 Elementary French
  • FRENCH 121-1,2,3 Intermediate French
  • GERMAN 101-1,-2,-3 Beginning German
  • GERMAN 102-1,-2,-3 Intermediate German
  • ITALIAN 101-1,2,3 Elementary Italian
  • PHYSICS 130-1,2,3 College Physics
  • PHYSICS 135-1,2,3 General Physics
  • SPANISH 101-1,2,3 Elementary Spanish
  • SPANISH 121-1,2,3 Intermediate Spanish

Grade Reports and Official Transcripts

Grade reports are available on CAESAR one to two weeks after the final class meeting. Visiting students must submit official transcript requests from:

Office of the Registrar
633 Clark Street
Rebecca Crown Center
Evanston, Illinois 60208-1118
phone: 847-491-5234.

Transcripts cost $8 electronically and $10 on paper, with additional fees for rush service. For more information or to download a Transcript Request Form, visit the Office of the Registrar website.

Back to top