Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Visiting Students

Summer Session FAQs

What are the Summer Session dates?

Summer Session 2024 runs from June 17, 2024 through August 25, 2024, although there are many courses with various session dates within Summer Session, ranging from two to ten weeks. Please see individual course listings for specific dates. 

When can I register?

There is only ONE registration period for ALL summer courses, regardless of the start date of the specific course. Registrations for US students will be accepted from April 8, 2024 through June 14, 2024. (*Biological Science and Chemistry courses require an extra approval step for visiting students, so please submit your registration form early.)

International students must submit all registration material for in person courses by May 3, 2024 and for online courses by June 7, 2024.

Late registrations for visiting students will be accepted with a $75 late registration fee from June 17-21. Late registration for intensive course sequences are not accepted.

Can I pay with a credit card?

You can pay with a credit card (MasterCard, Visa or Discover) online via CAESAR once you activate your NetID. Within 48 hours of completing the online Visiting Student registration form, you will receive an email notification with your NetID and and instructions on how to log on to CAESAR and pay the non-refundable tuition deposit.

How much tuition do I pay at the time of registration as a Visiting Student?
You must pay a non-refundable tuition deposit of $250 plus the $50 non-refundable registration fee at the time of registration. You will be billed within 30 days for the balance on your tuition. You also have the option of paying the tuition in full once you log on to CAESAR.

If you register during late registration (June 17 through 21), you must pay tuition in full at the time of registration.

If you do not pay your tuition in full when you register, the Office of Student Finance will bill you for the balance within 30 days. If you pay this remaining balance due with a credit card, you will be charged a 2.75% processing fee. You will not be charged this fee if you pay your tuition balance with an electronic check, check, or money order. If you have questions regarding billing and payments on your balance due, please contact the Office of Student Finance at 847-491-5224 or visit  Office of Student Finance website.

How much is tuition?

Tuition is $5,407 per course/unit of credit. Please see individual course listings or the Tuition and Fees page for additional fees.

How do I change my schedule by adding or dropping a course?

Please note: Summer Session tuition is billed per class. This creates specific policies regarding drop and withdrawal dates and how this might affect your tuition refund. BE SURE you understand the drop/withdrawal policies for summer.

Any change in registration for visiting students must be done through the School of Professional Studies Registrar's Office. ( ) Do not contact the professor or the central registrar's office on the Evanston campus. Detailed instructions regarding any changes of registration are included on the Registration tab. Please also review the  tuition refund schedule on the tuition and fees page. You cannot change your registration over the phone or through email.

How do I know which courses I may take?

Summer Session is open enrollment. Please view course descriptions for any prerequisites or departmental approvals that may apply. Some science classes may require the submittal of a transcript to show prerequisites have been met or taking a placement exam. Please see individual course descriptions.

What are intensive course sequences?

Intensive course sequences are a great way to complete a year's worth of Chemistry, Physics and some languages in just nine weeks. Please see individual course listings for more information about dates and times for each sequence.

If I need a syllabus for the class I'd like to take, how can I get one?

Please reach out to to the instructor or department offering the course. (*Syllabi are not available through the Summer Session office.) Instructor contact information is available at the Northwestern University Directory. If the instructor does not appear in the directory, please reach out to the Summer Session office at

How do I know what textbooks are needed for a course?

The Northwestern bookstores will have lists of course textbooks. You may also contact the instructor or the academic unit.

Do I have to supply college transcripts?
Generally, no, except for special courses where indicated. Course descriptions will include prerequisite and departmental approval information.

Will my credits transfer?
If you intend to transfer Summer Session credit to another college or university, you will need to get approval from the school you would like to transfer credits to.

Is financial aid available to visiting students?
While financial aid is not available from Northwestern University to visiting students, you should contact the financial aid office at your home institution for information about available aid. Northwestern students should talk with their financial aid officer at Northwestern.

Are room and board available?
On-campus housing is very limited during the Summer Session. Students who will be enrolled in summer courses should contact the Undergraduate Housing Office after April 30 for information about summer on-campus housing and to submit an online housing application.

Students may also contact the Off-campus Housing Office, which maintains a listing of web links that advertise off-campus apartments to rent or sub-lease.

Meal plan options are available to both Northwestern and Summer Visiting students through Northwestern Dining. Summer rates for meal plans will be posted online after April 15.


For additional information or questions, please contact the Office of the Summer Session at

Back to top