International Students

The College Prep Program invites you to join students from around the world to immerse yourself in rigorous coursework and experience the American college culture. High school students have three options to choose from:

  • Enroll in undergraduate courses for college credit and start your college career early! (rising juniors and seniors only)
  • Join a fascinating classroom discussion in our on campus IN FOCUS Seminars or online e-FOCUS Seminars, taught by top Northwestern faculty and instructors highlighting themes relevant today! (rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors)

Residential students will also have many opportunities to participate in campus-wide Summer Session activities including lunchtime entertainment on Lake Michigan, barbecues on the beach and an evening outdoor film festival. Additionally, University-sponsored activities, such as theatre and music performances, are open to all students as well as access to many of the university's resources including the gymnasium, library, and private student beach.


An English proficiency score is required for applicants whose first/primary language is not English or whose secondary schooling has not been in English. An unofficial copy is acceptable. There is no minimum score required by Northwestern. Competitive applicants demonstrate a high level of English proficiency and often score in the high range on all four sections (Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing) of the TOEFL, or receive IELTS band scores in the highest three bands on the overall and individual scores (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking).

Immigration Information

Online College Credit and e-FOCUS Students
International students enrolled in solely online courses are not eligible to have an F-1, J-1 or B-1/B-2 visa since participation in Northwestern summer online courses does not entail entry into the U.S.

Residential Credit Students
Students enrolling in the on-campus study option qualify for F-1 visa status. As part of the F-1 visa requirement, international students enrolling in the college credit on-campus study option must enter the U.S. on an F-1 visa and enroll as a full-time student taking a minimum of two classes.

All International Students enrolling in College Credit Courses must submit an Immigration Document Request Form through the OISS Portal. Please visit the Northwestern University Office of International Student & Scholar Services website for details. Under the "International Students" link, select "Steps for New Students." Please begin your request as soon as you receive your NetID to allow sufficient time to apply for your visa. Your I-20 will be sent to you electronically once it has been issued.

Contact the Director of CPP if you have an active immigration document, such as I-20 or DS-2019, from another institution, such as a U.S. high school, as you may not be required to request immigration documents from Northwestern University or enroll in two courses.

IN FOCUS Students
International students enrolling in the IN FOCUS Seminars will need to obtain a visitor visa to enter the US and participate in the program. Please check with the US Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live to confirm the type of visa you will need.

If you are currently studying in the U.S. at another institution on an F-1 or J-1 visa, you may be eligible for concurrent enrollment during the summer. Please reach out to our office for more information.

Health Insurance Requirements

All visiting students at Northwestern University are required to maintain adequate health insurance coverage as a condition of their approved stay.

Additional information will be available upon acceptance.

^ Back to top ^