Skip to main content
SPS Logo

Part-time Undergraduate Programs

Resources and FAQs

Information about academic and course enrollment policies for undergraduate students are detailed below.

For further details on academic policies and procedures please consult the Undergraduate Student Academic Catalog or contact your academic adviser.

Course schedules are found on the Undergraduate Course Search page. Course registration is completed in CAESAR

Credit and Grades University Registration Requirement
Independent Study Research Opportunities
Courses in Other NU Schools CLEP Credit Transfer
Earning a Second Bachelor's Degree

Credit and Grades

A bachelor's degree from SPS requires 45 or 42 units of credit, at least 14 of which must be at the 300 level. Each course carries 1 unit of credit unless otherwise noted in the course description. Students may not attempt to improve their grade point average by taking additional courses beyond the number required for graduation. One unit equals 4 quarter credit hours.

Students must have a GPA of at least 2.0 in all courses completed at Northwestern to meet the requirements for a bachelor's degree. Courses with a grade of D (1.0) or less do not count toward the major or minor requirements and may not amount to more than one-fifth of total course work. Transfer credit requires at least a C (2.0) grade.

Grades are available in CAESAR soon after the end of the quarter.

For more information, see the Undergraduate Student Academic Catalog 

Independent Study

Bachelor’s degree and post-baccalaureate students may design an independent study course or project with the direction of an SPS or NU faculty member. An independent study is advanced study of a specific topic within a subject area, comparable to a 300-level course, that, under the guidance of a faculty member, may extend a topic introduced in a completed course, or produce original or creative work. Students are responsible for inviting a faculty member in a pertinent academic field pertinent to sponsor the independent study; the sponsor is expected to meet with the student over the course of the quarter, provide guidance for the student's independent work, evaluate the student's work and assign a grade. It is not expected that the student will meet with the faculty sponsor each week. Students assume primary responsibility for applying for the independent study; a statement of goals, reading list, assignments, activities, and schedule are to be submitted.

Undergraduate degree students may register for no more than four independent studies and may not register for more than one per term.  An independent study may be undertaken only if an equivalent course is not offered by SPS once within four consecutive quarters. Courses required by a program may not be taken as independent study.

For further details on independent study policies and procedures please consult the Undergraduate Student Academic Catalog or contact your academic adviser.

Taking Courses in Other Northwestern Schools

Bachelor's degree students who have earned a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 and have completed a minimum of 22 units (at least four units at SPS) of coursework are eligible to enroll in daytime undergraduate courses undergraduate-level courses in other schools at Northwestern. Students are required to meet with their SPS academic adviser about selection of daytime courses and have the adviser sign the request form. Students then will need to submit a Student Affairs Petition with the signed request form to the SPS Office of the Registrar. 

For more information about registering for daytime courses in other Northwestern schools, current students should refer to the Undergraduate Student Academic Catalog, or contact your academic adviser

Undergraduate Registration Requirement

The Undergraduate Registration Requirement (URR) applies to undergraduate students seeking a bachelor’s degree and must be completed in addition to the established degree requirements. The URR is predicated on the principle that when a student receives a bachelor’s degree from Northwestern University, the majority of the student’s academic work is completed at the University. SPS requires that students complete 42 or 45 units to meet graduation requirements. In addition, the URR specifies the number of quarters a student must be registered at Northwestern and the number of units of credit a student must earn at Northwestern.

For more information, see the Undergraduate Student Academic Catalog

Research Opportunities at Northwestern

SPS undergraduate degree students can pursue opportunities for research throughout the University beyond the Independent Study and cross-school enrollment.

Through Northwestern’s Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR), research opportunities through Northwestern academic departments and programs are available to SPS students. A number of undergraduate research programs are offered throughout the year, from research grants to workshops and language study, open to students across disciplines and majors. The Office of Undergraduate Research is available to guide SPS students to opportunities and through the application process; get started with information from the OUR website.

External funding for research is available SPS students. These opportunities are funded by sources outside of the University and can be found through the Office of Fellowships.

SPS students who have engaged in original research and creative projects may enter the university-wide Undergraduate Research and Arts Exposition

CLEP Credit Transfer

Degree students may elect to take one of the nationally standardized CLEP tests, which allow them to earn college credit. CLEP credits can satisfy prerequisites or reduce the number of courses needed for a degree. Before registering for a test, students must determine whether the credits may be applied to a specific program at SPS by petitioning to the Student Affairs Committee. CLEP credit does not satisfy the writing requirement. CLEP credit cannot be applied to majors or minors, or foreign language requirements. SPS accepts up to 11 units of credit from CLEP tests.

CLEP test applications and information about testing sites are available from both SPS offices. Additional information on CLEP can be found on the College Board website. The SPS CLEP code is 1578.

For more information, view details about CLEP.

Earning a Second Bachelor's Degree

The evening undergraduate program is not designed for students seeking a second bachelor’s degree. We encourage students interested in continuing their education at Northwestern University to consider a post-baccalaureate certificate or graduate program. To explore these options, please contact SPS’s Office of Admission at

Back to top ^

View the current SPS academic calendar, including quarter dates and registration and drop deadlines: 

The Student Handbook is your guide to your SPS program of study and Northwestern University. It will provide you with information for expectations and resources as a student, and is intended to help you navigate through your program and its administrative procedures. The handbook is your reference tool for a wide range of student concerns, from course registration to completing your program. In many cases, it is the quickest path to an answer. 


If you still have questions or unresolved issues after consulting the handbook, please contact your Academic Adviser.

In addition to the policies contained in the SPS Student Handbook, you are also expected to be familiar with University-enacted rules and regulations, which are found in the Northwestern University Student Academic Catalog.

Below is a list of the most commonly asked questions about the Undergraduate program at the School of Professional Studies (SPS), grouped by category. If you cannot locate an answer on the website, prospective students can contact an admission adviser. Current students should contact the SPS academic advising team.

Admission   |    Advising   |   Campus Safety 
 Careers   |    Credits
Parking & Transportation   |    Taking Courses  
Tuition, Scholarships & Financial Aid



For general application instructions and deadlines visit the Admission page.

Will SPS issue me a student visa upon acceptance into a certificate or degree program?
International students currently in the U.S. on other types of visas may not require a student visa if their current visa permits part-time study (e.g. L-1B, L-2, H-1B, or H-4). If you are in the U.S. on a visa other than an F-1 or J-1 visa, please speak with your visa sponsor to confirm your ability to enroll and study at SPS.

SPS does not process I-20 or DS-2019 forms, our certificate and degree programs are designed as part-time programs for working professionals and cannot be used to maintain legal status in the United States.

Does the School of Professional Studies accept application fee waivers (i.e. NACAC)?
No. Applicants must pay the required application fee at the time of submission.

May coursework completed at other institutions transfer and apply to my degree at the School of Professional Studies?
The majority of undergraduate degree candidates will transfer coursework to SPS which decreases time to degree completion. Undergraduate students may satisfy up to one-half of their graduation requirements with coursework completed previously at another institution. In general, transfer credit is awarded for academic courses taken at a regionally accredited institution, passed with a grade of C (2.0) or better and similar in focus and classroom hours to courses at Northwestern University.

Will my homeschool transcript satisfy the high school transcript application requirement?
Homeschooled applicants should contact an enrollment adviser to discuss their prior secondary education.

If I attended more than one high school will I be required to submit a transcript from each school?
No, only the high school transcript stating conferral of diploma and graduation date is needed.

Is a GED Score Report sufficient to meet the high school graduation requirement or would I also need to request high school transcripts?
While not required, it is recommended that applicants submitting a GED Score Report also submit an official high school transcript if they have attended a secondary education institution.

Is the School of Professional Studies a member of the IAI (Illinois Articulation Initiative)?
We are not a member of the IAI. However, we do accept many courses in the transfer process.

Will my GPA transfer along with my courses from other institutions?
A Northwestern University GPA represents completed coursework at Northwestern and will not include your transfer GPA.

Should applicants with previous military experience submit a JST transcript?
Yes, prior military service should be indicated in a resume as well as submission of an official JST Transcript.

Do transcripts from Canadian institutions require a NACES course-by-course evaluation?
Applicants to the undergraduate program are required to have transcripts from any non-U.S. institution evaluated by a NACES member to ensure that the maximum amount of transferable credit is awarded post-admission.

Can I attend the School of Professional Studies for a second bachelor’s degree?
Prior course credits from a previously conferred bachelor’s degree are non-transferable to SPS’ undergraduate degree program. It is recommended that individuals with an earned bachelor’s degree pursue either the Post-baccalaureate or Student-at-large program. To explore these options, please contact SPS’s Office of Admission at


Undergraduate Admission Review

The admissions review committee reads each application fully and employs a holistic review process dedicated to determining an applicant's preparedness to meet the academic rigors of a Northwestern University education. In addition to reviewing academic records, the committee also pays close attention to other indicators of likely success at Northwestern, such as work experience, professional advancement, evidence of commitment to completing the degree and other relevant factors that demonstrate persistence and motivation.

The most successful applications will include:

  • Recent record of academic achievement at a regionally accredited institution
  • A clear statement of purpose highlighting educational and professional goals
  • Professional resume that highlights occupational experience, skills and achievements

Offers of admissions are at the discretion of the review committee and may include parameters such as limiting enrollment in the first several quarters of attendance, meeting with an academic adviser before registering and maintaining a minimum GPA.

Back to top ^



For general advising information visit the SPS Academic Advising  page.

How do I make an appointment with an undergraduate adviser?
Contact the academic advising team or the adviser for your program by email for assistance or to schedule an appointment.

How often should I meet with my academic adviser?
We encourage students to meet with their adviser at least once per year. If you have more specific concerns, feel free to meet quarterly or as often as needed.

Back to top ^



Does the School of Professional Studies offer career guidance and career-related advising?
SPS degree-seeking and certificate students are encouraged to discuss their career goals with their academic advisors. SPS academic advisers provide resume review, program-tailored career advice, and help connect students to additional resources.

Northwestern Career Advancement (NCA) is a comprehensive career services office that provides an extensive career coaching, counseling, programming and resources to all Northwestern University degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students. Current students are encouraged to work with NCA throughout their program and recent alumni have access to NCA for six months post-graduation.

Back to top ^



For undergraduate program policies and procedures, see the Undergraduate Student Academic Catalog.

Can I take a class pass /no credit?
The pass/no credit option is available to students admitted into a degree program who have a cumulative GPA of 3.0. Students in certificate programs may not take courses P/N. Students may take no more than four P/N courses in total and no more than one P/N course per quarter. P/N may be applied only toward distribution requirements or electives.

What is the unit completion requirement at SPS?
Degree-seeking students who transfer to the School of Professional Studies must complete their final 12 units (courses) of coursework at Northwestern University.

How many classes are required to graduate?
Bachelor degrees at SPS require either 45 units or 42 units of credit, depending on the major. See the degree requirements for each major in the Undergraduate Student Academic Catalog for details.

What is a unit?
A unit of credit is equivalent to 1 class, 2-2/3 semester hours or 4 quarter hours.

What is considered “good academic standing?”
Students must maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average in order to be classified as good standing. Students whose GPA drops below this minimum may be placed on academic probation.

Will my previously completed coursework, including online courses, transfer to my SPS program?
Some coursework may transfer. Courses must be equivalent to the undergraduate courses offered by Northwestern University, from a regionally accredited (i.e. NCA) institution and have a final grade of C or higher. Once admitted, students will receive an admissions packet containing a detailed credit evaluation of all transferred coursework. Transfer credit is subject to the approval of the Office of the Registrar and questions may be directed to their office at or (312) 503-6951. SPS does not evaluate transfer credit prior to being admitted.

What is the maximum amount of courses I can transfer into the undergraduate program?
Students are able to transfer in a maximum of 22.5 of the 42 to 45 courses needed to graduate.

Can I repeat a course?
Yes. You may repeat a course if you did not receive a passing grade. However, both grades will remain on your transcript.

Do you require a certain number of upper-level courses for graduation?
Yes. 14 courses at the upper (300) level must be completed to graduate.

Do I need a certain GPA in order to graduate?
Yes. You must earn a 2.0 in your major, minor and overall GPA in order to graduate.

What will my degree say?
Your degree will say “Northwestern University.” The Bachelor of Philosophy (BPhil) and Bachelor of Science in General Studies (BSGS) degrees are conferred by the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences at Northwestern. The Bachelor of Philosophy in Communication (BPhilCom) degree is conferred by the School of Communication at Northwestern. The Bachelor of Science degrees (online) in Enterprise Leadership, Health Sciences, Information Systems, Social Sciences, and Strategic Communication are conferred by the School of Professional Studies. See the degree requirements for each major in the Undergraduate Student Academic Catalog for details.

How long will it take for me to complete my degree?
This answer depends on how many courses you transfer and the academic load you plan to carry while at SPS. A formal credit evaluation is recommended to ascertain how many courses you will need to complete your degree. You may work with an academic adviser to determine a tentative schedule thereafter.

May I take a course at another institution and transfer it back to Northwestern University?
Yes, but you must secure permission via a successful petition.

May I take a CLEP exam and transfer it to Northwestern University?
Yes, for additional information about the CLEP exam and equivalent courses at SPS, visit our CLEP Credit Transfer Information page.

Do I need to apply for graduation?
Yes. You should  submit a Program Completion Form - Bachelor's Degree form to the Registrar’s Office.

Back to top ^


Parking and Transportation

Where can I park when I come to class?
On the Evanston campus, free parking is available in most "F" Parking Lots after 4 p.m. Please refer to signs at the parking lot to be certain about availability. Do not at any time park in a reserved space. On the Chicago campus, reduced-rate (with validation) parking is available in two University garages from 4 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturdays. Full parking details available within Locations and Contact information.

How can I travel between the Evanston and Chicago campuses?

The Intercampus Shuttle runs year-round, Monday through Friday, between the Evanston and Chicago campuses. The shuttle is free, but a WildCARD must be presented to board. For schedules and stops, visit the Intercampus Shuttle website.

Can I take the CTA to Northwestern?

The Evanston campus is close to the Purple Line's Davis, Foster and Noyes stops. The Foster and Noyes stops are both two and a half blocks west of Sheridan Road. The Chicago campus is closest to the Red Line's Chicago stop, which is three blocks west of Michigan Avenue. Multiple bus routes serve each campus.

Back to top ^


Taking Courses

Can I take courses during the day from other schools at Northwestern University?
Yes, if eligible. Bachelor's degree students who have earned a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 and have completed a minimum of 22 units (at least four units at SPS) of coursework are eligible to enroll in daytime undergraduate courses undergraduate-level courses in other schools at Northwestern. Students are required to meet with their SPS academic adviser about selection of daytime courses

For more information about registering for daytime courses in other Northwestern schools, see the Undergraduate Student Academic Catalog or contact your academic adviser.

Who are the instructors at SPS?
Instructors come to teach at SPS from all over Northwestern University. Full-time professors, lecturers and instructors from corresponding departments at Northwestern University teach, as well as adjunct professors with academic and professional expertise.

I have to drop my class. What do I do? Where do I start?
You can change you registration status through CAESAR, including dropping a course. If you are dropping your last course, you need to submit the Change of Registration Form. Be sure to submit it by required add/drop deadlines. See the Academic Calendar and contact the SPS Office of the Registrar for details.

Where do I find important dates and deadlines?
Important dates are located at the Important Dates/Academic Calendar page.

Back to top ^


Tuition, Scholarships and Financial Aid

Do you offer financial aid?
Degree-seeking students may apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA and the paperwork required by Northwestern University Financial Aid. You should first review important information at the NU Financial Aid website. Students-at-large are not eligible for financial aid.

Do you offer scholarships?
Yes. Certain application deadlines and criteria apply. Learn more by visiting the SPS Scholarships page, or contact SPS Student Services for more information.

How much is tuition?
Tuition information can be found on the Tuition and Financial Aid page

When is tuition due?
Tuition is due shortly after your registration. Your account and any financial aid information will be visible on CAESAR.

What if I have questions about my bill?
Contact the Office of Student Finance at 847-491-5224 or at 312-503-8503.

Back to top ^

Campus Safety

Where can I find a copy of Northwestern's Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics?

As provided by the Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990, now known as the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, you are entitled to request and receive a copy of Northwestern University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This Report includes statistics for the previous 3 years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Northwestern University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from campus. The Report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies on drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, fire safety and other matters. A hard copy of the University's Annual Security Report(s) is available upon request by calling 847-467-6171. The Report can also be accessed and printed from the University Police website.

Back to top ^

^ Back to top ^