Skip to main content
SPS Logo

Premedicine and Professional Health Programs

Resources and FAQs

View the current SPS academic calendar, including quarter dates and registration and drop deadlines:


The Student Handbook for your program is your guide to your SPS program of study and Northwestern University. It will provide you with information for expectations and resources as a student, and is intended to help you navigate through your program and its administrative procedures. The handbook is your reference tool for a wide range of student concerns, from course registration to completing your program. In many cases, it is the quickest path to an answer. 


If you still have questions or unresolved issues after consulting the handbook, please contact your Academic Adviser

In addition to the policies contained in the SPS Student Handbook, you are also expected to be familiar with University-enacted rules and regulations, which are found in the Northwestern University Student Handbook.

Below is a list of the most commonly asked questions about Northwestern premedicine and professional health post-baccalaureate programs, grouped by category. If you cannot locate an answer on the website, prospective students can contact the admissions team. Current students can contact the academic advising team.

Admission      |       Advising       |     Campus Safety
   Credits             Parking & Transit       
Taking Courses       |       Tuition & Financial Aid 



For general application instructions and deadlines visit the Admission page for your program.

Will SPS issue me a student visa upon acceptance into a certificate or degree program?
International students currently in the U.S. on other types of visas may not require a student visa if their current visa permits part-time study (e.g. L-1B, L-2, H-1B, or H-4). If you are in the U.S. on a visa other than an F-1 or J-1 visa, please speak with your visa sponsor to confirm you ability to enroll and study at SPS.

SPS does not process I-20 or DS-2019 forms, our certificate and degree programs are designed as part-time programs for working professionals and cannot be used to maintain legal status in the United States.

I have taken courses at other colleges. Will credit coursework completed at other institutions transfer and apply to a post-baccalaureate program?
Courses from an institution other than Northwestern University may be transferred to satisfy requirements for students admitted to the Premedicine and Professional Health Careers program.

How can I apply for a Premedicine and Professional Health post-baccalaureate program?
Students who wish to pursue one of these programs at Northwestern University School of Professional Studies apply for admission using the post-baccalaureate program application. There is a $50 application fee for Premedicine and Professional Health Career programs. We recommend you examine the admissions requirements of programs you are considering to before applying to an SPS program.

When should I apply?
The School of Professional Studies accepts applications on a rolling basis; entry terms vary from program to program. Please view the Admission page for your program for application deadline information.

What is the difference between a post-baccalaureate program and completing four or five courses as a student-at-large?
As a post-baccalaureate student, you will have access to all the amenities of being a Northwestern University student. As a student-at-large you are considered a visiting student and would not have access to student services.

Back to top ^



For general advising information visit the Student Services page.

How do I make an appointment with an adviser? Will an adviser contact me?
Contact the academic advising team or the adviser for your program by email for assistance or to schedule an appointment. Advising is available on both the Chicago and Evanston campuses.

Where can I find specific resume and career help?
SPS degree-seeking and certificate students are encouraged to discuss their career goals with their academic adviser, who are available to help with job search strategies, resume review, and provide program-tailored career advice.

How often should I meet with my academic adviser?
We encourage students to meet with their adviser at least once per year. If you have more specific concerns, feel free to meet quarterly, or more often.

Am I able to change courses after I am accepted?
Yes, you are able to meet with your academic adviser to discuss course changes.

Back to top ^



I have completed a bachelor's degree at SPS. Can I apply those courses toward a Post-baccalaureate program?
No. Credits earned for a bachelor's degree at SPS may not be applied retroactively toward post-baccalaureate requirements.

I have completed courses as a student-at-large at SPS. Can I apply those courses toward a Post-baccalaureate program?
Yes. In the Premedicine and Professional Health program, required courses that have been completed in the past two years by students-at-large may be applied toward the completion of a program, subject to the approval of the Registrar and provided admission requirements for the program are met.

What is considered “good academic standing?”
Students in Premedicine and Professional Health Careers programs are required to maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (B), effective fall 2016. Students whose GPA drops below this minimum may be placed on academic probation.

Will my coursework transfer to another school?
Only the other institution can make that decision.

Can I repeat a course?
Yes. You may repeat a course if you did not receive a passing grade. However, both grades will remain on your transcript.

Back to top ^


Parking and Transportation

Where can I park when I come to class?
On the Evanston campus, free parking is available in most "F" Parking Lots after 4 p.m. Please refer to signs at the parking lot to be certain about availability. Do not at any time park in a reserved space. On the Chicago campus, reduced-rate (with validation) parking is available in two University garages from 4 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturdays. Full parking details available within Locations and Contact information.

How can I travel between the Evanston and Chicago campuses?

The Intercampus Shuttle runs year-round, Monday through Friday, between the Evanston and Chicago campuses. The shuttle is free, but a WildCARD must be presented to board. For schedules and stops, visit the Intercampus Shuttle website.

Can I take the CTA to Northwestern?

The Evanston campus is close to the Purple Line's Davis, Foster and Noyes stops. The Foster and Noyes stops are both two and a half blocks west of Sheridan Road. The Chicago campus is closest to the Red Line's Chicago stop, which is three blocks west of Michigan Avenue. Multiple bus routes serve each campus.

Back to top ^


Taking Courses

Who are the instructors at SPS?
Instructors come to teach at SPS from all over Northwestern University. Full-time professors, lecturers and instructors from corresponding departments at Northwestern teach, as well as adjunct professors with academic and professional expertise.

I have to drop my course. Where do I start?
You can change you registration status through CAESAR, including dropping a course. If you are dropping your last course, you need to submit the Change of Registration Form. Be sure to submit it by required add/drop deadlines. See the Academic Calendar for dates and deadlines, the SPS Undergraduate Academic Catalog for the full course drop policy, and contact the SPS Office of the Registrar for details.

Where do I find important dates and deadlines?
The academic calendar can be found at the Important Dates page.

Back to top ^


Tuition and Financial Aid

Do you offer financial aid?
Students admitted to the Premedicine and Professional Health programs may be eligible for financial aid. For information on requirements for financial aid, please see visit the Office of Financial Aid.

How much is tuition?
Tuition information can be found on the Tuition page.

When is tuition due?
Tuition is due shortly after your registration. Your account and any financial aid information will be visible on CAESAR.

What if I have questions about my bill?
Contact the Office of Student Accounts at 847-491-5224 or at 312-503-8503.

Back to top ^

Campus Safety

Where can I find a copy of Northwestern's Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics?
As provided by the Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990, now known as the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, you are entitled to request and receive a copy of Northwestern University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This Report includes statistics for the previous 3 years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Northwestern University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from campus. The Report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies on drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, fire safety and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this Report by contacting the Northwestern University Police Department Deputy Chief at 847-491-3256. The Report can also be accessed and printed from the University Police website.

Back to top ^

^ Back to top ^