Skip to main content
SPS Logo

Student Services

Supporting Academic and Professional Growth

Information for Veterans

Northwestern University School of Professional Studies honors the sacrifices that our active duty service members, veterans, and their families have made for our country. The Student Services Department is committed to helping you transition from the military to the classroom, whether you are entering college for the first time, transferring from another school, or returning from deployment. We understand that the process of transitioning from military service into a higher education environment can be challenging. We are dedicated to providing a positive and encouraging environment that engages our military students in pursuing their academic and professional goals.


Using your Veteran Benefits at Northwestern University School of Professional Studies

Students may use most of the benefits offered through the Department of Veteran Affairs at Northwestern University, including all Chapters of the GI Bill, Chapter 35 (DEA) and Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation). VA Educational Benefits do not include the Illinois Veteran Grant or Tuition Assistance through the Department of Defense for active duty personnel. These programs are not available to students enrolled in any program at Northwestern University. Students should reach out to the Chicago Office of Financial Aid if they have questions about whether or not a benefit can be used at Northwestern.

Which VA Educational Benefit is best for you?

To determine which VA educational benefit is best for you and to determine your eligibility for educational programs through the Illinois State Approving Agency, Veterans and active duty military members should contact the GI Bill hotline at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) to speak with a VA counselor and visit the VA website

Students must complete the 22-1990 form (application for VA educational benefits) or the 22-1995 form (request for change of program or place of training for VA educational benefits) through VA at listing Northwestern University as their place of study.

Once a student has submitted the appropriate application through VA and has received his/her certificate of eligibility (COE), he/she should submit a copy of the COE to:

SPS Registrar Office
Kimberly Chapman
Registrar and VA Certifying Official
Northwestern University School of Professional Studies
Wieboldt Hall, 8th floor
339 E. Chicago Ave
Chicago Illinois 60611-3008


Chicago Office of Financial Aid
Northwestern University
710 N. Lake Shore Drive, Room 629
Chicago, IL 60611
Fax: 312-503-8700

so his/her enrollment may be verified with VA. Students are responsible for completing any necessary steps as directed by VA to ensure that Northwestern University receives the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill tuition payment and the VA’s portion of the Yellow Ribbon payment. Please refer to the Certificate of Eligibility or call 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) to verify that you have completed all necessary steps with the VA.

Certifying your Enrollment

The School of Professional Studies Registrar’s Office will automatically certify your enrollment with VA for each term in which you are enrolled while pursuing your degree.  In order to certify your enrollment with VA, you will need to submit a copy of your certificate of eligibility letter to our VA Certifying Official.

If you do not wish to be certified for a specific term or if you receive notice from VA that your benefits have been exhausted or will be exhausted during an upcoming term you will need to provide written notification to the certifying official using your Northwestern email account. 

If you did not list Northwestern as your place of study when you applied for your benefits through VA, you will need to complete Form 22-1995 via the VA's VONAPP application database to update your place of study to Northwestern University.  VA will not pay out any Veteran benefits for your studies at Northwestern until this is completed.

For students who are eligible for Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits at the 100% level and have been released from active duty, the School of Professional Studies is a proud participant in the Post 9-11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon program (YR). Currently, there is a waitlist for these benefits, and students will be added to the SPS YR waitlist once they have met the SPS policy. Students generally move from the waitlist to the recipient list within 12-18 months and notified via their Northwestern email account when they become eligible for benefits under the Yellow Ribbon program.  

Because payments for the tuition and fee portion of the Post 9-11 GI Bill are issued to the university directly, the Chicago Office of Financial Aid will add an anticipated VA benefit amount to your Northwestern University student account in time for the first bill as long as you are enrolled in courses and are charged applicable tuition and fees. They will remove the anticipated aid once the Northwestern Office of Student Accounts posts the actual payment from the VA to your student account. Anticipated aid will not be added for the housing or book and supply portion of the Post 9-11 GI Bill. Also, please note that students who receive benefits under other VA programs will not have anticipated aid added to their account because payments are issued to the Veteran or eligible dependent directly.

Financial Aid

Eligibility for specific benefit programs through the Department of Veteran Affairs are determined by VA directly. Students may visit the Chicago Office of Financial Aid for more information on using their benefits at Northwestern University or reach out to the office directly at 312-503-8722. Veterans may apply for federal (Title IV) financial aid in addition to their VA benefits. Receipt of federal aid will not reduce a Veteran's eligibility for VA educational benefits. *Please note that effective August 1, 2011, all aid not considered federal (Title IV) aid will reduce the Veteran's Post 9-11 GI Bill payment for tuition and fees.*

Federal (Title IV) aid includes:

  • Federal Direct (Stafford) loan
  • Federal Graduate PLUS loan
  • Federal Perkins loan
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Academic Competiveness Grant (ACG)
  • National SMART grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Title IV aid DOES NOT include:

  • Grants and Scholarship awarded by an institution
  • Outside scholarship assistance obtained through private organizations meant specifically for tuition and fees
  • Tuition reimbursement provided by employers or other sources
  • Tuition rebates/reductions provided by Northwestern University to employees, their spouses or their children
  • State grant assistance including but not limited to the Illinois Student Assistance Commission Monetary Award Program (ISAC MAP Grant)

Conversely, VA benefits will not reduce a student's eligibility for federal aid though it is recommended that Veterans take into account the amount of funding they receive from the VA when accepting or declining their federal loan assistance. Veterans may contact an advisor in the Office of Financial Aid at 312-503-8722 if they need assistance in determining the amount of loan funding they should accept or decline.

Chicago Office of Financial Aid
710 N. Lake Shore Drive, Room 629
Chicago, IL 60611
Hours: 8:30am - 5pm, M-F
Telephone: 312-503-8722

Additional Veteran and Financial Aid Resources

For additional Veteran and Financial Aid resources at Northwestern University, please visit Chicago Office of Financial Aid.

Trademark Terms of Use
Authorized Use
Third-party use of the trademark is restricted to the education and training institutions eligible to receive VA education benefits, State Approving Agencies, and recognized Veterans Service Organizations. Parties not identified are prohibited from using GI Bill in any manner that directly or indirectly implies a relationship, affiliation, or endorsement with the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Authorized third-parties may use the registered trademark ‘‘GI Bill’’ in print, electronic, radio, digital, or other media as established by the terms of use.

The trademark symbol ‘‘®’’ should be placed at the upper right corner of the trademarked phrase in the most prominent place at first usage; such as the title of a brochure, form, or the very top of a Web page and the following trademark attribution notice must be prominently visible: ‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at"
Use of the registered trademark symbol is not required each time the mark appears in a single document or on a web page. However, the symbol should be prominent on all individual documents and web pages.
Third-party use of the trademark is restricted and subject to the following:
The GI Bill trademark is not to be incorporated or included in company or product names, trademarks, logos or internet domain names.
The term ‘‘GI Bill®’’ is to be used solely to promote official VA benefit programs and services and must include the proper trademark symbol.
Use of the trademark attribution notice, indicating that the mark and all associated services belong to VA, is required and shall be taken as evidence that use of the mark is in good faith.
No entity shall use the GI Bill trademark in any manner that directly or indirectly implies a relationship, affiliation, or association with VA that does not exist.
Disparagement or misrepresentations of VA services through use of the mark, or by the use of confusingly similar wording, are strictly prohibited.
Suspected Violations
VA reserves the right to bring action against any party that violates VA’s terms-of-use concerning the mark in Federal court. Suspected violations must be reported by email to with the following information:
Date suspected violation occurred; location; explanation; and designated point of contact information
Supplementary Information
On April 27, 2012 President Obama signed Executive Order 13607, directing the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the Department of Defense, and the Department of Education to undertake a number of measures to ‘‘stop deceptive and misleading’’ promotional efforts that target the GI Bill educational benefits of Servicemembers, Veterans, and eligible family members and Survivors. Trademarking ‘‘GI Bill’’ was part of that order to protect military families from being misled by schools that target their Federal education benefits.
A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination thereof, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others. A trademark typically protects brand names and used on goods and services.
For the purposes of this trademark, GI Bill is defined as a service, ‘‘providing education benefits, namely, financial assistance such as accelerated payment and tuition assistance for institutions of higher learning, non-college degree programs, on-the-job training and apprenticeship training, flight training, independent training, distance learning and internet training, correspondence training, national testing programs,licensing and certification; entrepreneurship training, work-study programs, and co-op training to Veterans, Servicemembers, National Guard members, Selected Reserve members, and eligible dependents.’’

As of October 16, 2012, ‘‘GI Bill’’ is a federally registered trademark owned by VA. The mark consists of standard characters without claim to any particular font, style, size, or color.
Back to top